When reading Amanda @ Cover2CoverMom ‘s blog, I discovered that there is an Anne of Green Gables Read Along happening! My Kids Lit book club recently read Anne, but I will admit… I never finished the book. I got to 80% and then it was book club time. This is a great excuse to re-read Anne and to keep going in the series.
This 1908 novel which started it all tells the tale of an 11-year-old orphan girl who is mistakenly sent to live with a middle-aged brother and sister. Intending to adopt an orphan boy to help out on the farm, suddenly they have Anne. And, as one could imagine, young Anne quickly enters the hearts of not only Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert but the whole fictional town of Avonlea, Prince Edward Island, Canada.
The series continues in 5 further books, following Anne to age 40. After that point, 2 additional books are written following Anne’s children and family friends. Anne is still a primary character and continues towards her “old age” of 53.
I reached out to Jane @ Greenish Bookshelf to share my enthusiasm for her read along (#AnneReadAlong2017). As it turns out, she was looking for a co-host! One of my blogging goals for 2017 includes participating in more cross-posting opportunities. This includes Top Ten Tuesday and the like, guest posts, and now co-hosting a Read Along! Tied in with my Thanksgiving Readathon with Ottavia this fall, I am well on my way to make my goal!
So, as co-host, I say: join up!
Here’s how it works:
- Each month, starting in May, we will read and review one book in the series. Not sure if you can read all 8? No worries! Just join in for what you can, even if you are posting “late”.
- Post your review on your blog, website, YouTube channel, etc. and link up with us! You are welcome to link an older post if you’ve reviewed this particular Anne book before.
- Read, comment, and participate on other Anne lovers’ posts, and on Twitter with #AnneReadAlong2017
May – Anne of Green Gables
June – Anne of Avonlea
July – Anne of the Island
August – Anne of Windy Poplars
September – Anne’s House of Dreams
October – Anne of Ingleside
November – Rainbow Valley
December – Rilla of Ingleside
How to get started:
- Post your own introductory post about the Anne Read along on your blog/website/YouTube/etc.
- Include a link in the comments below.
- Tell your friends and encourage others to join the read along!
I look forward to sharing all the exciting things Jane and I are starting to cook up. See you around Avonlea!
What do you think?
- Have you ever read the Anne books before? If so, what do you think of them?
- Do you enjoy read alongs? Why or why not?
- What is your favorite book from childhood? Why?